The deadline to apply for this position has passed. If you submitted an application and have questions, please email email@example.com or call 269.381.4416.
We are looking for a relationship builder to join our dynamic and dedicated Community Investment Team. If you can envision and relentlessly pursue creating Kalamazoo County as a community where every person can reach full potential, read on.
Who we are looking for
We need an energetic critical thinker who will be great at working with diverse community partners across public, private and nonprofit sectors to make sure our resources address the community’s most important needs and result in the greatest impact. We are seeking candidates with experience building the capacity of others, individuals and organizations. We need someone who has experience and is comfortable leaning into the tension and conflict that is required to create and sustain positive community change. We seek a strong team member who understands our community’s challenges and the systems that affect it. Someone who values and can effectively engage diverse people and perspectives in order to develop inclusive solutions.
What you’ll do
You will be a member of our Community Investment Team working with nonprofit, public and private organizations to address longstanding community challenges and support our Big 3 Goals:
You’ll have lots of contact – in person, on the phone and through written/email communications – with local nonprofits, community leaders and local government representatives.
You will work as a key member of the team responsible for investing the resources entrusted to the Community Foundation over the past 90 years to serve the community’s best interests.
Key responsibilities include:
Community Capacity Building
- Engaging community partners across all sectors to leverage the community’s full potential to make life better for all Kalamazoo County residents.
- Helping organizations maximize their strengths and fortify any weaknesses so they can make as much impact on our community as possible.
- Connecting community organizations that can be more effective if they collaborate.
- Engaging with grantseekers to develop their full potential to make life better for all Kalamazoo County residents.
- Assessing grant requests to ensure they align with our goals.
- Organizing and managing all phases of the grant process.
Community Outreach and Collaboration
- Developing and implementing strategic outreach activities that result in deeper relationships with diverse populations and segments of the community.
- Fostering shared knowledge of community needs and assets with both internal and external partners.
- Developing and maintaining a strong communications network with and among a diverse group of professionals, residents, elected officials and community partners.
What you need to do the work
- At least a bachelor’s degree (master's preferred) or comparable experience;
- Five to 10 years of experience in a related field;
- Demonstrated nonprofit experience and the ability to assess an organization’s effectiveness, capacity and potential;
- The ability to engage in difficult conversations with compassion and empathy;
- A commitment to equity that values, respects and embraces diversity;
- The ability to thrive in an open, collaborative team environment; and
- A love of Kalamazoo and a strong desire to make life better for all.
What we offer
- A competitive salary and benefits package;
- A team-oriented, performance excellence culture;
- Opportunities to grow and advance;
- A positive and innovative work environment;
- A chance to be in the center of community transformation in Kalamazoo County; and
- A real opportunity to help people in Kalamazoo County reach their full potential.