How to Apply
Step 1: You submit a letter of inquiry.
You may submit a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) at any time.
Organizations that are recognized under Section 501(c)(3) of the
Internal Revenue Code or that have a fiscal sponsor that is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, and provide services to the greater Kalamazoo
community are eligible to apply for grants.
LOIs for grant requests of $10,000 or less are accepted and reviewed on a continual basis.
For requests of more than $10,000, there are LOI submission deadlines. These deadlines will ensure that you have sufficient time and feedback to complete your formal grant application before it is reviewed by our Community Investment Committee and Board of Trustees. For 2014, the LOI deadlines for requests above $10,000 are:
- March 10
- September 3
- December 4
Step 2: We review your Letter of inquiry.
Within two weeks, our team will:
- Assess your request's fit with our community investment priorities;
- Determine the most appropriate funding stream and staff contact.
- Respond to you with next steps.
Step 3: You Complete the online grant application.
Complete the online grant application. You will be asked to provide:
- General information about your organization.
- A narrative that summarizes the project and includes information about the need your organization wants to address, other partner organizations (if applicable), and how your organization plans to evaluate the project.
- Outcomes your organization hopes to accomplish through the project.
- A detailed project budget and information about other funding sources.
- Supporting documents.
Step 4: We review Your Grant Application.
Your grant application is reviewed by our staff and Community Investment Committee. During this process, our staff may request more information or conduct a site visit.
Step 5: Final Grant Decisions are Made.
A final decision about your grant is made. Your organization may receive full or partial funding, or in some cases we may decline to fund your project.
Step 6: You sign the Grant agreement and we mail your grant check.
If your grant is approved, your organization will complete a grant agreement and a grant check will be mailed