The Clarence L. Remynse Scholarship
How to Apply
Apply using our online scholarship application. If you don't have a computer we can send you a paper application or you can use a computer here at the Community Foundation any week day (except holidays) between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Just call 269.381.4416 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know how we can help.
Clarence L. Remynse, a native of Kalamazoo, was a graduate of Kalamazoo Central High School and Kalamazoo College. Upon graduation from Kalamazoo College, he stayed in Kalamazoo to eventually establish the Remynse Construction company. Upon his death in 1989, a Scholarship Fund bearing his name was established at the Kalamazoo Community Foundation along with a legacy of education, hard work and devotion to community.
You are eligible to apply for the Clarence L. Remynse Scholarship if you:
- Are a graduating high school senior who has been a permanent resident of Kalamazoo County for a minimum of 12 months prior to application or a graduating high school senior who has been enrolled in a high school within Kalamazoo County for a minimum of 12 months prior to application.
- Assume you will demonstrate financial need according to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).*
- Plan to enroll full time in a regionally accredited college or university in a course of study that leads to a bachelor's degree in business, science (including mathematics and engineering), law, education, psychology or medicine.
- Can demonstrate good citizenship qualities, high moral character and potential for leadership and academic success.
Selection of the scholarship semifinalists is based on: 60 percent for activities, work experience, essay and personal recommendations; 40 percent for academic achievement. While there is no minimum GPA required for scholarship consideration, most recipients have had a GPA of at least 3.0. In addition, only semifinalists who demonstrate financial need according to the FAFSA and meet all other eligibility criteria will ultimately be considered.
The following must be submitted to the Kalamazoo Community Foundation by December 1:
eGRANT scholarship application (including essay) and cover page (automatically generated by eGRANT upon completion of the application).
Essay (included in the eGRANT application) addressing the following questions:
- Why are you pursuing a career in business, science, education, psychology, law or medicine?
- What experiences have you had and what personal characteristics do you possess that qualify you as a potential leader?
Optional additional information: If you have overcome significant challenges and/or obstacles that you feel affected your ability to participate in activities and/or employment, include this information where indicated in the eGRANT application.
The following must be mailed or delivered to the Kalamazoo Community Foundation by December 1:
Two copies of the Clarence L. Remynse Scholarship Recommendation Form, each accompanied by a letter of recommendation written by an adult who knows you well, but is not a family member.
An official cumulative high school transcript through the end of your junior year, including ACT/SAT scores. ACT/SAT scores must be from a test taken before November 1.
*If selected as a semifinalist, you will be required to demonstrate financial need by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA must be completed between January 1 and March 1. The FAFSA can be completed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
$250 to $7,500
Renewable for up to three years.