The Learning Network of Greater Kalamazoo
The Learning Network of Greater Kalamazoo is a dynamic, growing collaboration of individuals and organizations embracing a vision that every child in Kalamazoo County will be ready for school, ready for college and ready for the world.
Achieving this vision will distinguish the greater Kalamazoo area as a
national-class center of learning and
The Learning Network, which is being funded by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation and Kalamazoo Community Foundation, will authentically engage individuals and organizations in new ways to measurably improve the performance of students in Kalamazoo County's educational system.
The Learning Network is aligning community forces to:
- Emphasize the value of education as the key to prosperity;
- Leverage new and existing resources for initiatives that advance education and job-readiness,
- Help set a common agenda to transform education; and
- Realize the vision that the community's future depends on education.
Specifically, The Learning Network will facilitate community-wide cooperation that will:
- Increase school readiness for all young people;
- Improve student performance; and
- Prepare individuals for meaningful careers.
The Learning Network will seek involvement and innovation in:
- College readiness and access to higher education;
- Health and wellness;
- Urban vitality; and
- Economic development.
The Community Foundation will provide $5 million of support over five years to the Learning Network of Greater Kalamazoo through its responsive grantmaking process in the areas of early childhood learning and school readiness, youth development, community engagement and youth philanthropy.