Initiating systemic change in areas impacted by segregation and separation requires us to focus on the education system. Through direct and coalition advocacy, we inform local and state decision makers who oversee systems that serve children and youth – from birth to postsecondary education and training.
We focus strategically on improving funding for early learning and k-12 systems. Our goal is to meet the needs of children, families, educators and employees while strengthening the community's economic stability.
Learn more about our priorities in education advocacy.
Public schools should financially supported by tax dollars at a rate that enables districts to meet the educational and developmental needs of each child at their neighborhood school.
- This funding must be distributed equitably among districts to meet the needs of the children in each community.
- Public school employees (teachers and support staff) should be supported with equitable wages reflecting their critical role in society.
All children should have access to quality, affordable early education offered in locations and during times that suit their family's needs. Affordable, dependable and experienced care provides stability for the rest of the workforce and prepares children for school entry.
- The State of Michigan should provide a full day of early learning for three and four-year-olds at little or no cost to families and caregivers.
- Early learning employees (teachers and support staff) should be supported with equitable wages reflecting their critical role in society.
- Significantly high turnover rates hamper the early learning system. Without sufficient time to bond with teachers and staff, children are at risk of slowed growth and development.
- Affordable, dependable and experienced care provides stability for the rest of the workforce.
- Rules governing endowed scholarship awards should endeavor to meet the needs of individual students and consider for the total cost of attending school. These costs include books, housing, living expenses and wraparound services (early learning and childcare).