The Next Phase of Community Recovery

Update June 12, 2024:

Tornado Relief Dashboard

Download a PDF of the tornado relief dashboard.

Update May 17, 2024:

United Way of South Central Michigan and Kalamazoo Community Foundation have begun issuing grant dollars to nonprofits and public entities providing critical recovery services to impacted individuals and households in Kalamazoo County.

How dollars have been spent:

Update May 8, 2024:

As recovery from yesterday's tornadoes begins, United Way SCMI and Kalamazoo Community Foundation (KZCF) are joining in collaboration to lend our shared strengths to relief efforts. We are working alongside partners at Gryphon Place and 2-1-1 as they identify community needs and determine how best to mobilize resources. To contribute to the overall recovery effort, you can donate to the Community Urgent Relief Fund (CURF) at KZCF by clicking the button below.

Apply for CURF Funding

As in past disasters, the Kalamazoo Community Foundation and United Way of South Central Michigan are joining in collaboration to lend our shared strengths to relief efforts for the May 7, 2024 tornadoes.

Due to the limited funds available and the specific, place-based nature of this response, the application for this funding is only accessible through the Kalamazoo County Response Consortium (KCRC) and our community’s Community Resilience Program Manager, Renwick Ballew (they/them/theirs) who can be contacted at Please include ‘CURF/DRF Funding’ in the subject line of the e-mail.

These funds will be granted to 501c3 nonprofit organizations, individuals or groups with a 501c3 fiscal sponsor and/or public entities who are providing direct services to residents of Kalamazoo County and Kalamazoo County households impacted by the May 7, 2024 tornadoes.

Priority activities include (but are not limited to):

Priority populations include (but are not limited):

Note: CURF and DRF funds are intended to complement resources available from FEMA, state and local governmental agencies, and private insurance.

Please direct any questions to